On Thursday, February 24, 2011, Ken Resander wrote:

> A 'System Timer Resolution too low' dialog pops up when I click the yellow
> alert triangle icon in Rosegarden.

That alert triangle exists to replace this extremely common warning dialog
with something that doesn't jump in your face and demand your immediate
attention.

What it means is that your kernel was compiled with a system timer resolution
of 1000 Hz instead of 250 Hz or whatever it is that we prefer.  In of itself,
this doesn't have anything to do with realtime or low latency one way or the
other, and it's strictly a measure of kernel timer resolution.

They changed the default resolution a few years ago, so this is a sign that
you have a generic kernel that has not been tweaked in any way for Linux
audio.  This is not an ideal situation, but many users go on running a kernel
like that for months or years without perceiving any particular deficiencies
in Rosegarden's performance.  In theory, the timer resolution is too low to
reproduce MIDI accurately, but in practice, I'm not aware of anyone who has
ever reported actual real world problems doing so.

I would put it in the category of:  Fix it if you can readily do so, and
ignore it if you can't.

Since Ubuntu Studio is no longer shipping with a -rt kernel, you don't have
any sensible options.  If I were you, I would just ignore it and go on.
Ubuntu Studio will sort this kernel business out eventually if they want to
stay alive as a Linux audio distro.  If not, there are others.
--
D. Michael McIntyre