On Thursday, February 24, 2011, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> Ubuntu Studio will sort this kernel business out eventually if they want to
> stay alive as a Linux audio distro.  If not, there are others.

After some of the comments that followed, I thought I'd come back and make it
really clear that the only thing I have a qualified opinion on is that
installing the -rt kernel on Ubuntu Studio 10.04 makes the warning widget
complaints go away.  It has the higher timer resolution set as part of how it
differs from a vanilla kernel, but beyond that, I have no idea what it really
does.

My last message sounds a bit like "Ubuntu Studio is going to die if they don't
fix their kernel" and I didn't mean to imply that the kernel was a life or
death matter for the distro.  I'm really just not qualified to have any
opinion whatsoever on these matters, because I haven't paid any attention to
this in years.

The only recommendation I'm making is that users should worry about real
performance problems, and ignore warnings that don't seem to be causing any.
If everything seems to be working in spite of one of these warnings, then odds
are it's working fine.

You'll know if you're having real problems.  You won't have to wonder.  When
this stuff goes wrong, it goes very wrong, and the results sound unmistakably
mangled.
--
D. Michael McIntyre