On Thu, 30 May 2013 18:23:38 -0500
Jim Cochrane <m_l-...@business.jimcochrane.info> wrote:

> I would vote for the most precise and complete alternative, which,
> IMO, is "cycles per quarter note" - as long as that's a correct
> description of the feature, and I'm sure it is.  (I've not used the
> feature, but it sounds like something I would use if I ever start
> using Rosegarden intensively.)

I'm having second thoughts on this - The functionality is to use
pitchbend to set up a periodic rate for a vibrato effect, right?  (As I
said, I've not used the feature [yet].)  If so, hertz might be easier
for the user to think about.  For example, if you have a fast tempo
(say, 144) and try to "visualize" (should that be "auditorialize"?)
what, say, 7 cycles per quarter note would sound like at that tempo I
think it would be rather hard.  But if you're thinking in cycles per
second all the time, I think that would be easier - you don't have to
adjust your conceptualization of the sound to the tempo.

So I think I change my vote to hertz, although for those who might have
forgotten what hertz is, perhaps just "cycles per second".  However,
this appears to imply a choice of two different implementations, as
well as the naming choice, since, e.g., 10 Hz is twice as slow as 10
cycles per quarter note at q=120 bpm.  I suppose this just amounts to
doing a calculation/conversion for the UI for one of the choices, so I
suspect it's not a big deal.