David gets the cookie after all.

Composition -> Change Composition Start and End

Pick a number other than 48 for the end bar, and you can draw segments
past 48.

Apparently the composition end marker only auto-expands during
recording.  Drawing a segment out manually won't do it.  I thought it
would too, so can't blame you for expecting that.

I can't remember if we changed this by design (I can see reasons why we
would have), or if this just never got working again after the big
rewrite that became 10.02.  Either way, the current behavior has been in
effect for quite a long time.

--
D. Michael McIntyre