On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:10:31 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <rosegarden.trumpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/15/2013 09:51 PM, Jim Cochrane wrote:

> >    - If it is not possible, how hard would it be to add this
> > feature to the code?  (Since it does start playing when it receives
> > a START message, it seems to me it should not be hard to modify it
> > to allow recording instead of playing when it receives START.
>
> What you'd want is the ability to arm the record button separately
> from the play button, like an old tape recorder.  Not sure why it
> doesn't do that already.
>
> In principle, doing what you want should be something like punch
> in/punch out recording.  In practice, that still isn't reliable after
> 13 years, and it's a dubious feature.  This code is what Julie Swango
> would call brittle.
>
> I hate messing with it.  It's like playing that old Milton Bradley
> game where you use the tweezers to take out the little plastic bones,
> and if you touch the sides, you get shocked.  (It's not supposed to
> work like that?  Mine sure did!  I got many a jolt from that stupid
> thing.)

That's a pretty vivid metaphor :-)

> The better idea would seem to be making it possible to arm the record
> button ahead of play.  Then you send your START and presto.  Somehow
> I just think that's going to turn out to be massively complicated,
> fiddly, and prone to malfunction.  Call me optimistic.

That sounds like what Julie suggested, except the START would be MMC
code 2.

> That being the case, I'd be in favor of figuring out some other way.
> Is there some likely MIDI message, an obscure controller, absolutely
> anything we could poll for and react to without having to fiddle with
> any of this other delicate stuff?  If so, I'd go that route.

Whatever solution is the easiest/most-practical to implement combined
with fulfilling my requirements (being able to start rosegarden
recording by sending it a MIDI message or a combination of MIDI
messages) would be fine with me.

However, I should mention that I have since found a work-around.  It's
rather ugly, but it appears to work.  I send a UNIX STOP signal to
rosegarden, then click the GUI "record" button, then sit down at my MIDI
keyboard and hit a pedal/key combination that tells my filter program to
send rosegarden a CONT (continue) signal (which brings rosegarden out of
stopped state so that it starts recording), and I immediately start
playing.  When I'm finished I hit a pedal/key combination that results
in rosegarden receiving a real-time STOP message - and it stops
recording.

> >  However, this
> >      is coming from a naive view - I'm a programmer, but I know very
> >      little about the source code.)
> >    - If it's not possible, is there some workaround?  (For example,
> > what if I hit 'record' to start rosegarden recording, then send it a
> >      song-position pointer message for position 0 to force
> > rosegarden to reset to position 0 and continue recording from
> > there?)
>
> That sounds like a fine workaround to me.  Have you tried it?  It
> might actually work!

I did try it, but I don't think I plugged in the right parameters for
the required MIDI::ALSA::output call. rosegarden did not respond. I used
Kmidimon to view what was being sent and although it showed a song
position pointer message, the data value for the message was bizarre -
a large negative number. In the code I plugged in all 0s, expecting to
send a song pos value of 0. But either I'm sending the wrong parameters
(documentation for sending this type of event seems to be nonexistent)
or there's a bug in the library I'm using.  I'll get back to you if I
succeed in actually sending a 0 value.

Jim