> I'll look into it, it sounds interesting. Is it me or is the
> guitar sound a more difficult one to synthesize?

I think it's probably an instrument we hear really often, and we hear
the wide range of expressiveness.  You can vary the attack a lot, apply
differing degrees of muting, bend strings, vary the tone color by
playing the same pitch on different strings, play various kinds of
harmonics, and that's not even considering whether the guitar has a
whammy bar/tremolo.

You could fake all that, but you'd have to have a detailed sample
library and enough familiarity with the instrument and ability to think
like a guitarist to stitch all the pieces together convincingly.

The same can be said of almost everything, really.  When you get down to
it, only the most extremely simple instruments ever sound completely
convincing.

Anyway, I think fake guitars are more plausible than fake brass
instruments.  Recordings of me playing the trumpet very badly still
sound better than the best fake, to my ears.

I did hear one extremely convincing computer-generated trumpet
performance.  To achieve it, they built a robot with artificial lips
that could produce sound using a real trumpet.
--
D. Michael McIntyre