Hi Anton,

My friends and I use Rosegarden with JACK and pretty much forget about the
plugins.  We use a combination of external hardware synths and soft
synths.
Fluidsynth with soundfonts remains popular (the website http://wowsia.com
provides an almost endless supply, I think they have over a TeraByte
worth).

We also use an extension on JACK (that used to be called NetJACK, but has
been incorporated into recent versions of JACK) see for example:

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_NetJack

and,

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_NetJack2

This allows soft synths to run on separate dedicated machines, which may
or may not, have analog sound capability.

My main synth studio rig has one machine with a high-end multichannel
sound card that does nothing much more than take inputs from other
devices.  Synthesis is all done on other machines as is recording.
RoseGarden is run on the recording machine with a big monitor and graphics
cards.  NetJack ties it all together.

Examples of the results can be heard on the Jazz channels of:

http://finevenuemusic.com

and

http://lowcostrestaurantmusic.com

The "Space of Hearts" channels includes work by other artists, but also
mostly done with RoseGarden on Linux.

Hope this helps,

Rich Marschall