On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:21:37 -0500
"D. Michael McIntyre" <rosegarden.trumpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 02/18/2019 06:48 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
>
>>    This is an interesting case.  I've confirmed this.  It's likely that
>> no one ever expected a user to do this.  So, there's no extra code in rg
>> to send NOTE OFF events when the current track is switched.
>
>I'm going off memory here, but I'm pretty sure this very issue is why
>the original developers implemented the panic button at my request.
>Richard Bown's doing, I think, but it could have been Chris or
>Guillaume.  I've found myself in that situation fairly often, while just
>randomly dinking around as part of the creative process.  There are
>other ways to get stuck notes as well, like changing programs on a
>hardware synth with its controls while playback is rolling.  I'm pretty
>sure I used to run into the same issues with my circa 1995 copy of
>Cakewalk on Windows, which is what informed most of the expectations I
>had of Rosegarden.  I went looking for Rosegarden's panic button,
>because I was used to reaching for it.
>
>Rosegarden could send note offs when the user changes tracks, but it's
>impossible to address that last case.  Well, I guess now that there is
>some feedback into the IPB program controls ([x] receive external) I
>guess it's not impossible, but it's impossible in my case, since I only
>run MIDI one way to that synth.
>
>Anyway, I'm neither arguing for nor against any proposed changes.  I'm
>just mentioning how I've made it this far without feeling like anything
>was behaving incorrectly.

To make this change would actually break known and accepted MIDI behaviour. I
would prefer it to stay as it is. Indeed with Yoshimi we actually make use of
a variation of this effect - initially after I realised you could make use of
it to set up drones and effectively give yourself a third hand.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk