On 10/17/2016 12:30 PM, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
On 17 October 2016 at 10:10, Panu Matilainen <pmati...@laiskiainen.org> wrote:
What is the chance to get [1, 2] into the release? I mildly remember,
that once I was offered to get this patch into Fedora, but that never
materialized and now it is almost a year. I don't think this is
controversial change which should make anything break.

Thx for considering.

Vít

[1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/pull/27
[2]

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/commit/89d1dd0a7c63c7497d334e9f240ce7e36ca89434

Hmm, that has actually been in Mageia for over a year so it's certainly
gotten its share of soak-time (so at least it's not breaking anything else)
and people are probably depending on it in Mageia so it'd be a reasonable
candidate.

Actually, it's been here at least in Mageia from much more earlier:
http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/rpm/current/SOURCES/rpm-4.6.1-setup-rubygems.patch?view=markup&pathrev=343

I think the original patch went in in October 2010, previously we were
using a separate %gem_unpack macro

But it's not the same implementation as the one that has been merged
in master. Mageia one is:
http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/rpm/current/SOURCES/rpm-4.12.90-setup-rubygems.patch?revision=860276&view=markup

Oh, I wasn't aware there were two implementations, I just assumed its the same implementation. Thanks for pointing this out, but it does mean the upstream implementation is not real-world tested so its not 4.13.0 material. In this circumstance anyway. Such minor enhancements are perfectly welcome in 4.13.1 though once we get there.

But if it works the same, Mageia will be happy to drop one more patch :-)

Since you obviously have existing users for the feature, please test the upstream patch with your packages and see what if anything is missing/broken. Me, I've no clue about Ruby business :)

        - Panu -