> Am 27.01.2015 um 23:29 schrieb Alex Vandiver <ale...@bestpractical.com>:
>

> The problem is in the binary libraries that RT (and its CPAN
> dependencies) use.  Any such deploy would be specific to one particular
> release of a particular distribution, and as such would be quite
> resource-heavy to produce in sufficient variety to be useful.

I thought that with „modern“ distributions like CentOS/RHEL (and the
LTS-versions of Ubuntu), the binary ABI never changes?

So that a perl-binary built on CentOS7 will run all way through 7.10.

It has always been this way for FreeBSD at least.
;-)

> Shipwright is a BPS tool that builds relocatable installs of
> software that package everything above glibc, but that doesn't quite
> solve the right problem.
>
> We've begun pondering building Docker vessels for RT, but the database
> dependency complicates matters.

Most people will use MySQL anyway IMO. Even if you gave them the choice of
Oracle, PostgreSQL and MSSQL and a handful other „real“ databases they probably
never ever even heard about.
Who downloads a „one click installer“ just to make it complicated afterwards?

> You generally cannot.  This is one reason we prefer fastcgi deployments.

I was suspecting that. But I never actually tried.

I’d go even further and offer pre-configured vmdks that offer one
pre-configured queue „support“ that pulls in mail via fetchmail from a server
and with an account the user can specify.
And one „helpdesk“ user in a „helpdesk“ group, with the typical
„helpdesk“-permissions.
That should get most people started.

The problem these days is that people want everything to be working _right now_
- no reading of a manual, no configuration. The machine should do what it
should do even if they actually  don’t know how to express what it should do.
Much less know how to configure it. Kind of like an iPhone.
They are willing to pay for this convenience, but increasingly this willingness
isn’t exceeding single-digit Dollar amounts...

Anyway: there’s nothing wrong with RT as I see it, but the people running help
desks these days are getting less and less technically minded: they want
something that can be configured with by entering some values and a few clicks
on the „OK“-button and without too much thought.

We can’t change this, but we can try to adapt…