Hi Rainer

I understand your frustration.
There have been a number of products that I have installed as an IT guy where I
had this same frustration - what is the most painless way to get the instance
running -- just so I can play with it and see if it seems to be worth pursuing
more?

For those of us who have been working with RT for a number of years, it does
seem rather easy or straightforward to set up.
But I imagine it is like that for everything in life, no?  More practice means
more familiarity and ease.

I can't give enough praise for Best Practical and RT - so I definitely think it
is well worth it to persevere until you have it running and you can evaluate it
for yourself.

I have not come across any A to Z type setup documents or videos, and don't
expect I ever will.
I think this is at least in part due to the power and flexibility of the
product, which is a very good thing!
I personally would not want to give up any of the amazing features of the
product just to make it easier to run 'out of the box'.

I know everyone is pointing you to the docs and they are worth it - well
written, concise, complete.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that RT is a great product and well
worth it all: reading the docs, taking the time to learn it, set it up,
experiment with it, and of course going to training.

If you haven't seen it yet, this site is worth looking at too:
http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/HomePage

Best of luck!
Brent