Christopher Williams wrote:
> The interpreter / Command Executor stuff should now be relatively
> stable. I
> overhauled it to look and feel like the JDT's IVMInstall/IVMInstallType
> stuff. If you're looking to add more proper support for JRuby, I strongly
> suggest you look into creating a JRuby specific IVMInstallType and
> adding it
> as an extension. You can peek a look at the StandardVMInstalllType and
> StandardVM to get an idea of how I implemented it for the normal C Ruby
> interpreter.

Great!
Just some quick comments:

I'm in the middle of making it work for JRuby, and I'm stumbling over a
few Exceptions.
It seems to be a problem, if the project of LaunchConfigs & Co are null, eg
org.rubypeople.rdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.LoadPathEntryLabelProvider.getText

It seems that some LaunchConfigs in my Workspace have project == null,
which causes this method to throw a RuntimeException;
This seems to happen when I look a LaunchConfigurations in Run->Ruby
Application;
I worked around this for now by just returning "No Project" for project
== null, but maybe you have some better solution.

Something similar in
org.rubypeople.rdt.internal.ui.util.ResourceSelector.setSelectionText(String
newText)
If the newText == null, there's an exception in the  JFace code;

> For everyone else, the result of this work has some large impacts: it
> moves
> us back to specifying an install directory for ruby interpreters - not
> the
> actual executable. So for *nix based systems, you'd point it to /usr or
> /usr/local and it will search for bin/ruby and lib/ruby/site_ruby, etc.
It might be good to give a hint what the Ruby Home directory might be -
on my Debian system, I had to guess for a while, until the dialog was
satisfied;

Oh BTW:
The Add VM Dialog seems a bit too strict about having the user choose a
VM - I have two (Standard, JRuby) and was surprised that the OK
button wouldn't get activated - until I chose something from the combo box;

> I also managed to break the RI/RDoc stuff in the process, as well as
> launching debug mode and Test::Unit. I went back and fixed as much as I
> could, but Markus, Martin and others I could use some help making sure
> that
> debugging is set up to work OK again.

I saw some locations you marked with some comment about Not knowing how
to quickly start Ruby (I think it was somewhere concerned with Ri).
I didn't quite get that;

murphee
--

Blog @ http://jroller.com/page/murphee