Thomas,

The best place to start is the drools documentation
http://www.jboss.org/drools/documentation particularly the expert guide.
This shows both drl and spreadsheet syntax and examples.
- Yes. I have downloaded all the drools info from here. then I got one
expert pdf document in reference folder of final distribution. I think it is
the same in above URL.
Here as mentioned in the document I have defined rules in repository using
Guvnor and then tried to access the knowledgebase using knowledgeAgent,
which I failed to access from web application where as from console
application it is working.

You are getting the exception because the first line of the condition should
just be an object restriction eg fact1 : DataObject()
Your second line is then a restriction on that data object.

- that means I can not get the child fact from a parent object as I tried.
As of now the only way is I need to insert the facts as and when rule needs
it and then retract that. Please correct me If I am missing anything in my
understanding.

What you send from your screen and what you insert into the working memory
doesn't have to be identical.
Your screen may use a single object to relay the object but that doesn't
mean you can't explode it into separate facts as you insert it into your
working memory, but it depends on what you are trying to achieve - are these
just validation rules or are you going to be modifying the objects?

I am modifying the object, so that based on that object state some
functionality has to be done in next layer. what I am trying to achieve is
generic rule util methods for my application to use these methods across
different method calls.

Thank You
Jilani