On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 1:29:23 AM UTC+2 dim...@gmail.com wrote:

> Homebrew need not be installed into /usr/local, and doesn't need root if
> one chooses not to install there.

You can theoretically untar homebrew in a different directory, but at least
when I tried that a couple of years ago I found myself up in a shit creek
without a paddle. Have you actually tried? The installation document says:

However do yourself a favour and use the installer to install to the
default prefix. Some things may not build when installed elsewhere. One of
the reasons Homebrew just works relative to the competition is because we
recommend installing here. Pick another prefix at your peril!