On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 12:53 PM Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On OSX I don't feel comfortable recommending anyone to run a script as
> root so homebrew can barf random files into the filesystem. For security
> and maintainability we really need to be able to install Sage without
> having unsigned and effectively unversioned dependencies.

I don't really see how homebrew is different from a rolling Linux distro.
The core binaries are audited, etc etc.
Surely if you install arbitrary binary stuff (their "bottles") from a
non-standard location, then you're at risk (most if not all Linux systems
also have similar high-risk mechanisms), but that's not what you need to
build Sage with homebrew packages.
Certainly not if you use gfortran and other core packages such as gmp from
Homebrew, then you're as secure as with a Linux distro, IMHO.

> My suggestion would be to replace the toolchain packages with a local
> conda install, i.e. keep the part where our configure checks if a suitable
> gcc/gfortran/... is installed. If not then pull down miniconda and install
> a working toolchain into $SAGE_LOCAL/conda, instead of trying to compile
> it. That way we can easily offload the toolchain maintenance effort, and
> keep all the benefits.

I know nothing about security mitigations in conda-forge, are they
significantly stricter than ones in Homebrew?
Anyway, I don't see much benefit from automating this pulling, I think it's
better to tell the user upfront what they have to have installed
(including an option of using conda-forge, or mamba-forge), as an average
Sage user should be fine with Sage from conda-forge,
it's more flexible than binary Sage installs.

Dima