On OSX I don't feel comfortable recommending anyone to run a script as root
so homebrew can barf random files into the filesystem. For security and
maintainability we really need to be able to install Sage without having
unsigned and effectively unversioned dependencies.

My suggestion would be to replace the toolchain packages with a local conda
install, i.e. keep the part where our configure checks if a suitable
gcc/gfortran/... is installed. If not then pull down miniconda and install
a working toolchain into $SAGE_LOCAL/conda, instead of trying to compile
it. That way we can easily offload the toolchain maintenance effort, and
keep all the benefits.