On Friday, 09 Sep 2022, 09:54 UTC, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> I am resurrecting this thread, as in addition of trac continuing to eat up
> funds
> (at a rate of over US$ 10 per day at the moment), it has gotten increasingly
> broken. In particular, in the last 2 weeks no new developers can really join
> the project, as there is no normal* way to add new ssh keys into trac
> accounts,
> and it's not possible to push/pull with "new" github ssh keys, i.e. keys that
> were not already "known" to trac, i.e. added to the trac store of ssh keys
> before the last breakage happened.
>
> As far as funding is concerned, attempts to bring trac to a "free" hosting
> stalled (see earlier messages in this thread).
>
> A further longer term issue is that trac software is basically on life
> support,
> and it's only matter of time it will become totally obsolete.
>
> Such a move will allow a considerable simplification of our devops,
> and free up quite a bit of developer time
> to do interesting work rather than messing around with semi-obsolete
> stuff such as trac, gitolite, etc.
>
> Importantly, Volker, the release manager, is willing to proceed with the move.
>
> Also, various Sage upstream (and downstream) projects have moved
> away from trac to github, e.g. Cython, or away from another system
> to github, e.g. CPython, GAP, jupyter, etc...
>
> There is a trac ticket to manage the proposed move,
> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30363 tentatively set for Sage 9.8.
>
> I've conducted few experiments with a tool to import trac sites to github:
> https://github.com/svigerske/trac-to-github, which in particular allows
> to import trac tickets as github issues; a result of running it on few tickets
> may be inspected here:
> https://github.com/dimpase/trac_to_gh/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed
> (Here issues 1-10 correspond to trac tickets one to one :-))
> Further work on trac-to-github will be needed, in particular to properly
> link branches in our git tree, but it's doable,
> and we have volunteers to do it.
>
> We'd like to hear about serious objections to the move, if any.

I would like to voice serious objections to this move.

To me, moving to a GitHub-centric development contradicts
the inclusiveness and openness of the SageMath project.

a. The company operating GitHub can block access to GitHub,
block account creation, or terminate accounts for individuals,
companies or countries without prior notice on discriminatory
grounds, see links below.

b. Relying on free software tools for essential infrastructure
is something I value a lot in the Sage project. Trac is that,
GitHub is not.

c. Several people refuse to open a GitHub account and are
much more comfortable contributing to Sage using a Trac
account on our Trac server.

d. Moving to GitHub because a lot of software development
has moved there does not seem a relevant argument to me.

e. Today GitHub exists. Tomorrow it might shut down.
Gitorious, Google Code, Gna!, CodePlex and many others did.

f. Today GitHub charges no fee to free software projects.
Tomorrow that might change. Remember how Travis CI
was once free for free software projects, then no longer.

My experience is that using Trac as our main public repository
and issue tracker works well, and does not prevent us from
using other tools in addition.

- Merge requests against the SageMath repository at GitLab
  are turned into Trac tickets automatically. As far as I know
  this works well and developers of p-adic functionality use it
  quite a lot.

- There used to be a similar mechanism to turn pull requests
  against the SageMath repository on GitHub into Trac tickets.
  From what I understand it was not extremely complex and
  someone with the right skills could hopefully revive it. See

    https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30406

- We are able to use GitHub Actions and to integrate them
  with our Trac server, with badges displaying the result of
  these automated actions displayed on each ticket.

Hosting our Trac server at Google seems to be a problem.
I can ask my department about hosting Trac. Can someone
summarize the requirements (disk space, RAM, etc.)?

Kind regards,  --Samuel

--- Some links about GitHub policies and controversies ---

GitHub and US trade controls
https://docs.github.com/en/site-policy/other-site-policies/github-and-trade-controls

GitHub controversies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitHub#Controversies

GitHub has suspended my account for no reason
https://padida-ali.medium.com/github-has-suspended-my-account-for-no-reason-99ebbcad98cc

GitHub blocks entire company because one employee was in Iran
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25644056

Microsoft enters: GitHub banned Iranian developers!
https://medium.com/@devengine/microsoft-enters-github-banned-iranian-developers-843f7c60a146