On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 2:17 AM Samuel Lelièvre
<samuel.lelie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Increasingly, services such as GitHub and Google require
> users to have a mobile phone number, to share it with them,
> and to be able to receive text messages on them in order
> to be able to log in or access certain features.

I don't think this is the case of GitHub right now.   They do
optionally *support* 2-factor authentication (unlike our trac setup),
which is a very (very!) good thing from a security point of view.
Personally, I enable 2-factor for GitHub and use a generic 2-factor
app on my phone.  Maybe we should require 2-factor? [1]

I would not dismiss your concern about GitHub eventually charging as
easily as Dima did.  In fact, just two days ago
GitLab (not GitHub) noticeably cracked down on free usage

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=32821682

That said, on GitLab open source projects such as SageMath would still
be free, as they have a special application process for open source
projects.   It is also supposed to be easy to migrate complete
projects from GitHub to GitLab if necessary, as that's a key part of
GitLab's business model.

There is no requirement that all hosting for everything involving
SageMath be completely free. [2]

My personal biggest fear with GitHub was for a long time "What happens
when they get bought by big-company-X?".  At least that was answered
when Microsoft bought them in 2018 (see [3]); at least now they won't
be bought by Oracle (I painfully remember Oracle killing Sun
Microsofts literally months after SageMath started getting some
*major* marketing and vendor support from Sun.)

 -- William

[1] Related to this, the JupyterLab project this week flipped a switch
to *require* all developers with commit access to use 2-factor
authentication.  We don't have to make that requirement for SageMath,
though personally I think we should, since if a hacker were to break
into one person's account and sneak bad code into Sage, it could be
very bad (for whoever it targets, and also for our reputation).  Due
to Sage's use in cryptography research, there are very good arguments
that Sage would be a high value target for such attacks, e.g., by
sophisticated state sponsored entities.

[2]  E.g., I guess we've been paying to host trac much more than we
would pay for GitHub if it weren't free.

[3] https://news.microsoft.com/announcement/microsoft-acquires-github/

--
William (http://wstein.org)