A few comments:

- We have a strong history in Sage of conducting votes, and I absolutely
think we need to do that for this issue. We also have a history (with
perhaps a small number of exceptions) of having majority rule, and I think
that's what we should do here: no need for a 2/3 vote.

An aside: I am chair of our department, and we have a governance structure,
including an executive committee. Earlier this year the committee proposed
a policy to the whole department and brought it to a meeting for a vote.
The discussion was contentious and the vote ended up with more yes than no
votes, but there were also a number of abstentions, and the total number of
yes votes was under 50% of the total present. Shortly after, I proposed,
and the executive committee accepted, that we not put the new policy into
place: our department has a strong preference for something closer to
consensus than that. Sage does not have any such governance structure, so I
don't think we can behave this way: we can't wait until the votes are cast
before deciding how to interpret the results (not that anyone was proposing
this), but I also think we can't decide that this vote should require a
supermajority. It feels very arbitrary: why this vote but not so many
others? We should hold a vote where the majority wins. If we want to
develop more of a structure, including some sort of criteria for when we
want majority votes vs. supermajority votes, we can do that, but I don't
think it makes sense to try to put it in place for this issue.

- Regarding Gitlab: there has been very little discussion of it: the
discussion has focused on Github and trac. If we are expected to consider
Gitlab in addition, we need more information. In particular, starting a
vote early next week is too early.

- Some people with strong opinions said that they are not ready to
formulate their views.

My impression is that trac is now doing okay, and I don't see a reason to
rush a vote. I would propose that people work on David's list of pros and
cons (thank you for working on that!), and we start a vote around October
1. We may or may not want to include Gitlab among the options; are there
any actual proponents of it?

--
John