On Fri, 16 Sep 2022, 19:54 John H Palmieri, <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A few comments:
>
> - We have a strong history in Sage of conducting votes, and I absolutely
> think we need to do that for this issue. We also have a history (with
> perhaps a small number of exceptions) of having majority rule, and I think
> that's what we should do here: no need for a 2/3 vote.
>
> An aside: I am chair of our department, and we have a governance
> structure, including an executive committee. Earlier this year the
> committee proposed a policy to the whole department and brought it to a
> meeting for a vote. The discussion was contentious and the vote ended up
> with more yes than no votes, but there were also a number of abstentions,
> and the total number of yes votes was under 50% of the total present.
> Shortly after, I proposed, and the executive committee accepted, that we
> not put the new policy into place: our department has a strong preference
> for something closer to consensus than that. Sage does not have any such
> governance structure, so I don't think we can behave this way: we can't
> wait until the votes are cast before deciding how to interpret the results
> (not that anyone was proposing this), but I also think we can't decide that
> this vote should require a supermajority. It feels very arbitrary: why this
> vote but not so many others? We should hold a vote where the majority wins.
> If we want to develop more of a structure, including some sort of criteria
> for when we want majority votes vs. supermajority votes, we can do that,
> but I don't think it makes sense to try to put it in place for this issue.
>
> - Regarding Gitlab: there has been very little discussion of it: the
> discussion has focused on Github and trac. If we are expected to consider
> Gitlab in addition, we need more information. In particular, starting a
> vote early next week is too early.

I think the 1st vote should be on moving from trac to Git**b; besides it
appears that, technically, move to Github is much easier than to Gitlab
(while there are migration tools available for trac->github, I could not
find anything for trac->gitlab).

On the other hand github->gitlab move is easy (that's where gitlab gets its
business from).

> - Some people with strong opinions said that they are not ready to
> formulate their views.
>
> My impression is that trac is now doing okay,

Note that trac's bus factor is down to 1/3. It took efforts of Frederick,
Jan, and me to put it into the present state.
Any kind of system upgrade, or VM infrastructure update, or something else,
may break it,
with all 3 of us possibily needed to repair it. Maybe we'd manage, maybe
not.

I don't think it is acceptable state of affairs, and that's why it really
is strange for me that we are bothering with the vote at all.

Dima

and I don't see a reason to rush a vote. I would propose that people work