On Jul 20, 10:03 am, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, we had some discussions off list about Solaris support in general
> and back then the possibility of setting up a Sparc with Solaris 8
> came up, so I could have "my own" box to do the port.

I've very rarely to seen Solaris 8 mentioned on comp.unix.solaris, but
I guess that people reading that are more likely to be keen on
Solaris, and so run late editions.

> Ok, good to know. I don't know the "rules" over there, so thanks for
> clearing that up.

That was the last I knew. I was going to contribute something, and
have an account, but this messing around to generate Solaris 8 x86
packages put me off.

> Solaris 9 on x86[-64] was never officially available IIRC and Solaris
> 8 on x86[-64] ought to be a rarity these days since Sun treated

I've run Solaris 7 on x86, but not any more. Not sure what other CDs I
might have in folders somewhere.

> Hehe, old hardware is fun, but I do not do any work on them.

I've not a GPIB board (for controlling test equipment) which is on
sbus. I should hang on to an old SPARC for that, as they make cheap
and small instrument controllers. But realistically, they are not much
use for much else now.

> Yes, that is true. Some little birdy told me a while back that a large
> university in Canada is still running their Sparc boxen with Solaris 8

I was going to say universities might suffer this problem. Where I
worked at a uni we seem to have some really old stuff around. The
system admin seemed to be stuck in the dark ages.

> Ok, so there is no annoying IMHO Debian policy like thing for
> Sunfreeware it seems which will make a monolithic tarball much easier.

I don't think Steve at Sunfreeware would try to break it up. I think
he would just put it up as a large package. But I've not tried asking
him.

> > Ultimately, it would be nice to get Sun to put it on the Solaris
> > Express DVD, but I image that would not be quite so easy to do.
>
> Yes, one would imagine competition here is rather fierce.

Especially since Sage is so large. I imagine its easier to get a 10 kb
utility added than 100's of MB. But Sun must be aware there is a
market for this sort of sortware on Solaris - they have worked quite
closly with Wolfram Reseach.

Of course, there is nothing to stop you creating your own OpenSolaris
live DVD and distributing that. Or asking any of the groups that do
produce one to add Sage.

> Sure, but conflict of interest is one thing, acting on it is another.

I've got nothing to suggest he will.

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling Sunfreeware is not updated as
often as it used to be. Perhaps Steve has other more pressing
commitments.

> Do you mean addons specifically for Solaris or for MMA in general?

Mathematica in general. I'm not aware of any Solaris-specific
Mathematica add-ons.

But there have been a few discussions on  comp.soft-
sys.math.mathematica about marketing of add-ons. I've also had private
emails from a couple of people that do sell them. I got the feeling
that it was hardly worth their while.

> Sure, installing Sage was always meant to be easy and since there is
> only one true Solaris with a rather stable ABI I am confident that
> binaries will work on average much better than on some random Linux
> distribution. But I guess time will tell.

Yes, I would expect them too to. There should not be all this "you
need to use kernel x.y on distribution z" stuff you get on Linux.

Dave