On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Harald Schilly
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 5:41 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Yep, though let's not reject the possibility of paid advertising.
>> For example, I'm paying a little so there will be a Sage booth
>> at the AMS meeting in DC.  That's paid advertising in some sense.
>>

> Yes, it is in some way, but in general it is a different kind of game.
> mma/maple/matlab get money from the customers and a fraction of that
> is used for marketing - to get more money. Sage has no money supply
> (for advertising), therefore it is a bit out of the game. The only
> thing I know about this, is google grants. I think it's not applicable
> for Sage, since it sounds to be very limited and for political
> organizations, but read on your own.
>  I don't understand legal terms
> that well ;)
> http://www.google.com/grants/ -

I did read that. It says the main requirement is that the organization
must be a 501(3)c -- Sage has this status through University of Washington --
and the page also says "organizations that are either religious or
political in nature are not eligible, including those groups focused
primarily on lobbying for political or policy change."   So your
thinking the Google grant program is
"for political organizations" is not right.

Anyway, many thanks for suggesting this; once you've done more
research about what we want to advertise and how, I think you and
I should put together an application.

> "... recipients use their award of
> free AdWords advertising on Google.com to raise awareness and increase
> traffic."
> But anyways, at least something is happening into that direction,
> maybe more in the future.
>
> In a perfect world it would be just "fair" to give non profit software
> organizations a chance (by limited virtual money) to advertise their
> software side by side with their commercial rivals, who would be angry
> i think ... (what's left is the grey zone in between by offering paid
> support for open source software and advertising that kind of support)

Maybe Google is doing just that :-)?

> It's probably also a legal issue (market regulation system?), if
> google starts to advertise open source software more aggressively. (I
> know, that there were "use firefox" displays and something about
> openoffice, but nothing else)
>
> IANAL, H

I saw absolutely nothing on that google grants page that was against
open source software.  I saw clear claims that the grant programs is
*not* for political or religious organizations.  They say "missions range
from animal welfare to literacy, from supporting homeless children
to promoting HIV education."  For a Sage application maybe the
mission is "promoting mathematics education, especially in third
world countries where commercial math software is prohibitively
expensive"?

 -- William