OK, I just asked Thomas to send me the email thread about his problem with
SMC. His communication was with William Stein and Harald Schilly, and
related to lost bits of a jupyter notebook that were not even recoverable
using the revert button or the backup utility, plus bits started
disappearing or re-arranging again. On 4 November, Harald replied to him
with the following words: "Hi, this sounds like a real bug we have to fix.
Getting a history and collaboration working with jupyter notebooks is not
easy.", followed by a message by William Stein on the same day indicating
that a fix would require a major rewrite of Jupyter, and suggesting a
method to use standard Jupyter within SMC. Unfortunately, Thomas overlooked
that suggestion and didn't try it out. Still, the problem of disappearing
or re-arranged code cells within a worksheet reminds me of problems I used
to have with sagews, but I haven't experienced them with jupyter so far. If
this is a particular problem with jupyter notebooks within SMC, and if it
re-occurs, perhaps this way of using jupyter should be discouraged in
favour of using pure jupyter or jupyter kernels within Sage worksheets. If
instructions are available how to do this, I'd be happy to try it out.

Cheers
Stan