Dear all,

A student of mine has been using SMC because the sage appliance in
virtualbox did not appear very useful with the jupyter notebook. Now that
he encountered a critical bug in SMC (reported offline), he is back with
the sage appliance in VB but it is truly a nightmare. The installation
instructions are still specific for sagews, not jupyter, but we at least
managed to change the working directory to something he can access. What we
haven't managed, is to get out of the kiosk mode in chrome. There is no
obvious possibility of opening several tabs, no address bar to get back to
the directory page and no back button. This means that every time he wants
to go back, e.g. after downloading the worksheet, he has to restart the
virtual machine! I don't understand why chrome was chosen instead of
firefox, and I have no idea why it is set up in kiosk mode. Is there any
sensible way to productively work with the sage appliance using the now
standard jupyter notebook?? I'm sorry if my frustration shows in these
lines, I probably should have asked earlier, but I am wondering a bit if
those that created the sage appliance actually use it themselves. I don't,
which is why it never occurred to me how difficult to use it might be.
Thanks for your help!

Cheers
Stan