./configure correctly determines that it needs to use CXX='g++
-std=gnu++11' to work with this old compiler.
Check if you have environment variables CC or CXX set in your global
environment -- they should be unset; otherwise, they will override the
values determined by ./configure. (This is nonstandard behavior of our
build system.)