> > I like the way the proposed patch wipes the slate fairly clean.  But I
> > sort of hope it is temporary and at some point a rational autosave
> > strategy of some sort is implemented.    There was an attempt to not

The only issue is that there is no guarantee that the autosave, in
some "rational" form, will ever come back if this patch is merged,
because it depends on the people who understand that code enough to do
it.  This seems problematic.  But for now even reducing the default
number autosaved to 100, or 30, or 2, or some integer greater than
zero, would seem to be a good strategy.  E.g. for power outages or
battery failures or whatever.

- kcrisman