On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Stan Schymanski <schym...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 for a 'smart' auto backup system. I don't know whether it was the
> snapshot saving or what did it, but I never bothered saving notebooks
> while working with them and never lost any data after crashes.

When a snapshot is taken the state of the worksheet is also saved.   This will
still happen fairly frequently.

> It is
> such a great peace of mind not to have to remember to save your work
> regularly and still not to risk any data loss. This was an experience I
> have never had with any other software before.

+1  -- I also hate software that causes one to lose work, which is
partly why Sage tries so hard not to.

> For some reason, I was thinking that the auto save in sage works
> incrementally, like for example in svn. The problem of identical
> snapshots suggests otherwise. Am I confusing something here?

It *should* work incrementally, and could be implemented that way.
However that would be more work, and nobody has done that work yet.

> Cheers,
> Stan
>
> Rob Beezer wrote:
>> On Apr 22, 5:36 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody here ever use snapshots?
>>>

>> I have never used a snapshot, that I am aware of.  I've lost a cell or
>> two due to crashes, but I think this was always due to my flaky USB
>> hard drive setup and not Sage's fault.  And it was always just messing
>> around while writing lecture notes, or something similarly not too
>> important.
>>
>> I like the way the proposed patch wipes the slate fairly clean.  But I
>> sort of hope it is temporary and at some point a rational autosave
>> strategy of some sort is implemented.    There was an attempt to not
>> create a snapshot if there were no changes, but I don't think that
>> worked as advertised.  And the auto-save interval was more like "save
>> if there is a trigger and it has been *longer* than the interval"
>>
>> It would be nice if
>>
>> (a) autosave, or not, was user-configurable from the notebook settings
>> by user
>>
>> (b) autosave interval could be set to *any* integer number of seconds/
>> minutes (maybe 0 means don't) in notebook settings
>>
>> (c) There really weren't ever identical snapshots created
>>
>> (d) William's idea of phased snapshots (fewer as they age) was
>> implemented since it is a good idea.
>>
>> Is it problematic to spawn a thread that just sleeps for an interval
>> and then wakes up to consider making a snapshot?
>>
>> Anyway, this isn't meant to be a proposal, just the suggestion that if
>> properly designed, then a useful, unobtrusive backup system should be
>> possible.
>>
>> I hope to review William's patch soon, but will let this thread run
>> its course first.
>>
>> Rob

William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics