Thanks Kevin -- do you know how to test that?  On the sever, netstat -
a starts

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0      0 *:8000                  *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:58244                 *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:6010          *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:6011          *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:6012          *:*
LISTEN

which includes a listen on 8000 (and the sage server is running), but
what does that prove?

John