I now can connect to that sage server (running on ubuntu, by the way,
and administered by Bill Hart and myself) but this is from another
machine on the university network so I'll have to try form home too.

I started the server using exactly  notebook
(address="selmer.warwick.ac.uk", port=8000, secure=True)  (we now have
a proper name for the machine!)

Now I need to see how to create other accounts.  thanks for people's
help!

John