Actually, I probably spoke out of turn.  The ":8000" at the end of the
url specifies the port to use, so https shouldn't be using the default
port.  But, there could be a firewall preventing port 8000 from
working, or a port forwarding problem if your server is hiding behind
a router.

I recall having similar issues connecting to sage over https, but I
don't recall all the gory details.  I do recall that I had to set up
ssl certificates, and enable ssh in apache before I could connect with
https.  Google "enable https ubuntu".

I can connect to your server using http, but not using https.  I think
the first step is to ensure you can connect to your web server using
https.  Once you've confirmed that https works, you can then try
connecting to the sage server.

Kevin Horton