Ian Collier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 10:45:44AM +0100, Lee Willis wrote:
> > Well it's entitled to, as far as HTML 3.2 is concerned </p> tags are not
> > necessary and shouldn't be used to force breaks
>
> Well, no, but it's valid HTML and if it works then what the hey.

Yes but the question is *why* it works, ie because the browser converts
it to what I said

> > <hr>

The reason he was getting a break when he had the </p> was because his
browser was in effect treating it as an <p>.  The <hr> on its own
doesn't give a break and so when he loses the </p> (And therefore the
implied <p>) he gets no break because the <hr> is treated as part of the
paragraph (Wrongly I agree, but that's what happens!)

> > Which you should be using to force the space.

Hmm, yeah OK

s/\./ in most common browsers./    :)

> The <hr> tag implies the end of the paragraph - how can a horizontal
> line be part of a paragraph?

Good point, I hadn't actually thought about it too much :(

> So what you've written there is a paragraph with no text in it

No, it's a paragraph containing a single space, which hence requires
proper spacing as if it were a paragraph containing some "visible" text.

> don't know whether that's valid HTML

It is.

> completely at liberty to ignore the empty paragraph.

Well if it was an entirely empty paragraph then yes it is, but it isn't
it contains a space (Well actually a new line, but that is in essence
'whitespace') and thus is not empty per se.

Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"