I think I might have read that one while researching - the one in
which the argument is basically "Wolfenstein 3d must be possible
because all the individual parts of the engine are simple" versus
"scrolling the screen is even more simple, but the Sam doesn't seem to
have the horsepower for that"?

At least this time I'm actually going to release some code. I've
submitted to Colin a tiny little demo of the 'engine' up to the point
of the most recent youtube video and it is my current understanding
that it'll be on the disk with Sam Revival 22.

Re: the precision issue, the location of each point ends up
effectively being the sum of three numbers, each of them the product
of at least three numbers. And each of my table based multiplications
is likely to lose accuracy in at least the low bit, so the compounded
loss of accuracy is almost certain to have a visible effect.

I'm going to switch to a 2.14 fixed point scheme for matrix
preparation. It'll cost a bit more per-object but no more per-vertex.
And it's a much better idea if I want to implement proper local-axis
rotations ala Elite rather than the hodge bodge of local and global
axes that you get with Euler angles.