I'm still chipping away at optimisations, little by little. I've been distracted by my PC remake of the Freescape engine*, but haven't stopped working on the Sam stuff. The code is now roughly 28% faster than the version that I submitted for Sam Revival, and I'm not done yet.

Filled polygons shouldn't be an insurmountable problem. In fact, they should be noticeably faster than the version from before I switched to vector outlines. The main problem is that not using the stack pointer for polygon filling will obviously slow that down by a huge amount, but continuing to use the end of frame interrupt for triple buffering and timing would lead to the occasional stray four pixels of random colour. In fact, it'd be very occasional because it'd only happen if the interrupt fired while the CPU was drawing the last four pixels of a scanline. I guess the final decision on what to do about that would depend on whether the engine was being used for anything that was meant to be close to a realtime game.

My suspicion is that something sufficiently sparse that didn't run full-screen would actually be playable in real time with solid graphics. But I've yet to try to prove it.

Incidentally, having watched I, Of the Mask a few times, I think it has exactly this problem — though obviously being a Spectrum game it leaves more 16 pixels of junk on screen. I'm not completely sure though.

In terms of the engine's functionality, I'd like to get Elite-style movement (i.e. incremental rotations around local axes rather than Euler angles and progressive global axes) in there before calling it 'complete'.

For a game, I prototyped a tennis game but it didn't seem to be fun whatever I did. So now I'm not really sure.

* I know it's definitely not what this list is for, but Windows and OS X betas are available from http://tinyurl.com/66wr29