Most of my thinking was just that if the left and right clip planes
were freely positionable rather than hardwired to be at x = ±z then
portal rendering would be extremely cheap. So if you're in a convex
room A, which has one 'wall' W that is actually a doorway to convex
room B then you can draw all of A, adjust the clip planes so that
you're only allowing drawing to the left/right extent of W, then draw
room B. And so on. With vertical fixed height walls you can get away
with only supporting movable vertical clip planes.

Of course, it'll look pretty jumpy if increasing precision in my
matrix calculation stuff doesn't have a strong enough effect. But
that's scheduled for after I've made some multiplication improvements.