On Sat, Sep 09, 2023 at 02:37:30PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
> As of two days ago, every cvs update, with or without -q, inflicts this
> "helpful" message on me:
>
>     sv_membersh is part of Savane.
>     In order to download the corresponding source code of Savane, run
>
>       rsync -avz --cvs-exclude k...@cvs.savannah.nongnu.org:/opt/src/savane .
>
> Can this please be changed back to silence? It is absurdly verbose to
> see this report about an internal script on every update. A user doing
> an update is not running sv_membersh.

The message comes from sv_membersh itself; it runs when the user
authenticates with SSH, as a direct outcome; its license is AGPLv3+,
with the relevant clause saying, "...your modified version must
prominently offer all users interacting with it remotely...
an opportunity to receive the Corresponding Source of your version."

I believe users who authenticate do interact with sv_membersh
in a way analogous to the frontend PHP code invoked through Apache.

Do I misinterpret anything?