On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 06:45:53PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
>     I believe users who authenticate do interact with sv_membersh
>     in a way analogous to the frontend PHP code invoked through Apache.
>
> I don't agree that the AGPL requires this message to be shown on every
> cvs update. It's one possible interpretation, but not the only one.

No, but it does require a prominent offer to be shown every user
connecting through a network.  Have you any better ideas for how
to implement it?

> When I run cvs on my machine *I* am not interacting with sv_membersh.
> I'm just running CVS, which obviously knows nothing about sv_membersh.
> It's the savannah implementation doing the interaction.

Sorry.

When I run a web browser on my machine *I* am not interacting with Savane PHP
code.
I'm just running my web browser, which obviously knows nothing about Savane PHP
code.
It's the savannah implementation doing the interaction.

> Anyway, regardless of that, the (A)GPL certainly does not require
> unconditionally forcing unwanted info on users. Just like it's possible
> for users to request that gdb, for instance, not display the various GPL
> notices on startup.
> For instance, if you keep showing it by default, then please give me an
> option in the Savane interface to turn it off.

Done, thank you!