The message comes from sv_membersh itself;

Sure.

    I believe users who authenticate do interact with sv_membersh
    in a way analogous to the frontend PHP code invoked through Apache.

I don't agree that the AGPL requires this message to be shown on every
cvs update. It's one possible interpretation, but not the only one.

When I run cvs on my machine *I* am not interacting with sv_membersh.
I'm just running CVS, which obviously knows nothing about sv_membersh.
It's the savannah implementation doing the interaction.

Anyway, regardless of that, the (A)GPL certainly does not require
unconditionally forcing unwanted info on users. Just like it's possible
for users to request that gdb, for instance, not display the various GPL
notices on startup.

I, like many others I'm sure, update tons of repositories nightly in my
cron job. Real messages are easily lost amidst all the new noise.  So,
please make it possible for me to stop seeing this, or revert the
default behavior.

For instance, if you keep showing it by default, then please give me an
option in the Savane interface to turn it off. Or something. It is quite
painful for a cron job that has run fine for decades to suddenly be
reporting this verbose information on every update. With no warning and,
most importantly, no way back to the previous quiet behavior.

karl