Hi Chris,

We at Security Compass have been doing that for developers for about 2 years
now. We have done this type of training and also the training from the pen
tester angle.

Some of the things that we have seem make this training much more effective
are

[] If the direction for the training and security initiative is coming in
from the top rather than just from one manager (not to say that having it
from one manager doesn't help)

[] If there are some general policy and guidelines to building secure
software

[] If there are general guidelines to build secure architecture

[] if there are though processes in place for updating the existing SDLC
with security in place to improve the overall direction of the company
towards a more secure application development practice

[] Finally if the training is developed around these kind of practices and
customized to your specific environment.

We also think providing different kinds of training for different levels of
people is important, i.e. a training for managers, a training for
architects, a training for QA/Security professionals and finally a training
for developers. Each has a specific goal in mind and speaking in the
individual language so to speak to each group.

Hope this helps, If you would like to chat more just email me.

Nish.

  _____