Hi Chris,

My experience is that, like most engineers, most software developers want to
improve their skills and that, as a group, they hate making easily-avoidable
mistakes of any sort. Training that focuses on reinforcing their existing
skills in design and development and then works methodically to give them the
extra layer of knowledge to make the code not only function, but also behave
with respect to security, is almost always well received. Any training that
comes across as, "You're doing it wrong, stop everything and do it this way"
will almost always be ignored. No one has time for that.

Internal groups and others who are getting started in developer training tend
to create "bug parade" kinds of materials. You'll see slide after slide of
five-line code snippets while the instructor says "That's wrong, don't do
that." That kind of mistake detection is often so easily automatable these
days, that buying or building training for it, and taking all your developers
out of action for a day or two to run through it, may not be the best choice.

As you alluded to, we need to teach developers how to actually write secure
code. The problem, however, is that the march of development methods,
languages, frameworks, architectures, and so on means there usually cannot be a
single approach for, by way of example, coding input validation routines. On
the whole, the industry is at the stage where we need to teach developers to
recognize situations where "security goes here," and give them the reasoning
skills and prescriptive guidance to code their way out of the problem in their
particular environment.

This kind of defensive programming training seems to be most valuable these
days and it takes real experience and real experts to create and deliver such
material.

Meanwhile, it takes more than educated developers to produce software that
behaves appropriately in the face of attack. The requirements people also need
some help and it's unlikely the business analysts, the architects, and the
testers are sufficiently considering the non-functional security aspects of the
thing they are trying to bring to life. Of cause, the operations folks also
need to understand their part in the "secure software" lifecycle. In addition,
executives need to understand how to govern and managers need to understand how
to facilitate.

By way of full disclosure, I've spent a great deal of time building such a
cross-cutting curriculum at Cigital, which we've delivered to a variety of
financial services, independent software vendor, and other organizations.

As for pricing, I've seen everything from a few hundred dollars per person for
material you could effectively download yourself to $12,000 or more per day for
a few slides and one big exercise that may have nothing to do with a group's
particular needs. I've also seen a few examples of some really good stuff that
just "speaks to me." Organizations must make sure they're getting an instructor
that thoroughly understands the material and that they've worked with the
training provider to ensure the material is appropriately customized to their
needs.

Effectiveness is in the eye of the beholder. The actual impact of developer
training alone may take months to show up in even the most mature dashboard.
More broad training across each of the key roles, appropriately supported by
prescriptive guidance and automation, has historically shown a recognizable
impact (e.g., finding many more security-related bugs much earlier in the SDLC)
much more quickly.

I recently put together some (long) thoughts on an approach for training. You
can see them at
http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague/2007/06/25/training-material-training-and-behavior-modification-part-1-of-3-%e2%80%93-training-material/.

--Sammy.

Sammy Migues
Director, Knowledge Management and Training
703.404.5830 - http://www.cigital.com<http://www.cigital.com/>