Op 1/13/2016 om 12:28 PM schreef Fulvio:
> I'm not sure if theusers of this mailing list are particularly
> interested in a technical analysis of the Scid format.
> However, in short, a general description of the format:
> https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Scid
>
> and the biggest limitations is that the pieces (excluding queens) cannot
> reach more than sixteen different squares.
> For example a rook in a1 can reach a2,a3...a8 and b1,c1...h1 = 14 squares.
> An invalid move, maybe played in a kids game, like Ra1c2 cannot be
> stored in a Scid database.
An obvious extension would be to use an unneeded code (even the Rook has
two of
those, as it has at most 14 moves while the byte can indicate 16
different destinations)
as an 'escape' to indicate the next byte contains the square number (6
lowest bits) +
promotion choice (2 highest bits). I suppose diagonal Queen moves are
already
treated that way, i.e. like they are invalid moves of a Rook. This way
the database
could contain arbitrary invalid moves.
> Castling when the King or the Rook are not in their standard initial
> position is also considered an invalid move.
> That's why importing a pgn with chess960 games fails.
This is more a problem of the encoder / decoder than of the format.
It would be quite trivial to patch that.