Hey Steve,

I know that no. 2 option best represents real-life games; but for 'material advantage', would it be better if instead of pieces you had a 'value' bar? To illustrate:

Here we have captured a rook and a knight. Or two pawns:

(Though material advantage is irrelevant in view of the conditions over the board.)