Most of the reason they left the AD stuff out is they are still tinkering with MIT Kerberos V server.
They refuse to migrate to Heimdal the AD stuff in samba AD includes an embedded Heimdal Kerberos V server because the MIT version is common but doesn't quite cut it yet.
I personally always use Heimdal when I create a Kerberos server because its more robust and plays nice with others because it complies with most of the RFC's. MIT Kerberos is close but its not quite there and has a lot of historical issues.
Plus I love being able to host multiple Kerberos realms in a single KDC. Also the Heimdal Perl modules are nice too.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3

On Feb 10, 2014 18:25, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:

>> Hi Nico,
>>
>> What was your reason for doing it yourself, versus SerNet:
>> http://www.enterprisesamba.com/samba/
>
> In my opinion, my spec files are cleaner, more explicit about
> dependencies and options, and more compatible with the curren
> tupstream RHEL, Sckentific Linux, and Fedora environments. I also
> publish the necessary components to build up the "mock" toolchain to
> build the dependencies. And I'm the author of the first published
> ports of Samba to SunOS 4.1.x, so I've been at it a while as a useful
> hobby. I also find it irritating as futz to have to register to
> download the SerfNet packages.
>
> I've submitted some patches to SerfNet in the past: they don't
> necessarily agree with my tweaks or RHEL's tweaks, and I've never
> heard back from them.

Hi Nico,

Just out of curiosity, does "samba-tool" show up in
your spin?

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.