On 09/02/14 20:45, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Question: what do you see as an advantage of Samba's AD over
> just using Samba as an old fashioned Domain Controller?

A side track actually.  If you're looking for something like AD for
Linux, which can also integrate with AD (in version 3)  ... Have a look
at the FreeIPA project.  I'm also believe FreeIPA integrates with Samba4
too.

<http://www.freeipa.org/page/About>

Not sure how it is with RPM packages/yum repos for FreeIPA, though.

> I take it old-out-of-date (SL) isn't supporting Samba 4 yet.

In SL6, there are samba4 packages available.  I believe it is a
tech-preview in RHEL6.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth