1) The windows GUI tools for managing it work transparently enough to fool most window's admins.
2) if integrated with an LDAP server like 389 server most AD dependant applications won't know the difference either.
3) you can do things like policy pushes without doing a regedit kludge on login which in and of itself requires the user to be able to edit their own registry which is a security hole.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3

On Feb 9, 2014 14:45, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:

> My toolchain for building a complete Samba 4.1.4 on Scientific Linux 6
> is available at https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo. It's set up to
> set up a local yum repository for the necessary dependencies, and uses
> the EPEL published tool "mock" to build the toolchain in a clean local
> environment without accidental and incompatible system integrations.

Hi Nico,

Thank you for the offer. Got me to thinking. Whenever I come
across a Windows Active Directory (AD) server, I think under my
breath "Why would you do that to yourself?". What a slow,
cumbersome, clunky mess. Within the first ten minutes of
discussing a Windows server with a client, I inevitably
get asked how to speed it up. I have to tell then that
that is just the animal they are dealing with. If I can
set up a Windows server with the least amount of services
running on it, I do. I love it when they don't want AD.
(Most of my customers seldom have more than five workstations.)

Okay, I do realize that Linux's stability and practicality is
far superior to Redmond's stuff, which is why I prefer Linux.
I see Linux as pretty much customer driven, as opposed to
driven by the greatest, most effective marketing department
in the history of free enterprise.

Question: what do you see as an advantage of Samba's AD over
just using Samba as an old fashioned Domain Controller?

I take it old-out-of-date (SL) isn't supporting Samba 4 yet.

Many thanks,
-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.