That's cool to hear.

I think a lot of people are so entrenched in comfort zones of how the world is,
they have trouble accepting change. Some see it as a threat, when the real
threat to them is simply the *idea* of change, not any horrible results from
that change. A couple of years ago, I had a discussion with a very conservative
white dude at my old job. Discussion ranged all over the map: illegal
immigration, gay rights, Obama, the Iraq invasion, etc. It was one of those
rare times when I cut lose with my true feelings around someone like that at
work.

The thing was, I was raised as, and remain, a Christian, with Christian views
of loving others as myself, helping others, etc. . I have fairly traditional
views about how to treat women, marriage, etc. I love America, etc., etc. So
this dude and I should have several things in common. However, I'm a very
liberal black man who tells it like it is.

When I finished making statements about some of my beliefs, he got red faced
and said, "It's liberals like you who are trying to destroy America". How, I
asked him, could my simply wanting people of color, women, gays, and foreigners
to have the same advantages in life he had be destroying America? How could my
wanting people to abandon non-Christian hatred of those different of them do
anything but help this country?

I related the conversation to a friend of mine and he said, "Keith, realize, to
his mind you are trying to destroy America: the safe, comfortable America he
grew up in, and that terrifies him".