JP said:
I actually have wanted to use a multi-line find/replace many times
and have had to do work arounds in every editor i've used.
JV said:
Under Windows, \n pasted to the Find field survives (displayed as a
rectange). \r\n cuts the string
I've noticed this before, couldn't lock down the test case, it just
seemed random to me (I use files from Windows machines and Unix machines
and do not force a line-ending type on either). I will try this myself
(forcing \n line endings on all files) and see if this solves my
problem. I personally would still prefer the translation of this newline
into an escaped "\n" rather than seeing a square rectangle in the find
dialog.
I said:
>> My last editor had a checkbox on both find and replace dialog boxes
>> labelled "All documents" in a little box labelled "Scope".
NH said:
> I would like to reduce the number of controls in the Find dialog
> rather than increase them.
Understood, I was just describing how it was one consistent option in
both find and replace dialog boxes, where the scope of the find
operation is either local to the active buffer or global to all open
buffers, same with replace.
I found it easier to get my head around this "scope" as an option (i.e.
checkbox) rather than a button for "Replace in Buffers", and a button
for "Replace in Selection" - it works well for all cases - e.g. I choose
scope as "Selection" and then can press "Replace" to get individual
replacements, or "Replace All" to replace everything in the selection; I
choose scope as "All Documents" and the same applies, one at a time with
"Replace", all at once with "Replace All", within all documents; default
scope is current document only. This all applies well to find as well.
Effectively these options would add more features (i.e. replace one at a
time in all open documents, replace one at a time in selection), and
takes 2 controls out of the dialog (the two "Replace in.." buttons) and
adds 2 controls (the same options as checkboxes) or 1 control as
radio/select with 3 options. I'm not well versed in the impact of
various types of controls and their relative resource requirements, I
only know what works really well for me from an interface perspective.
Just my AUD$0.02.
I said:
>>Is it possible to replace control characters in the selection with
>>the C-style escape sequences before population in the "find what"
NH said:
> It is possible but contends with the idea that multiple line
> selection before find/replace means that the user probably wants to
> restrict the scope of the operation.
In which case the user would be manually typing the "find what" text? So
no harm in placing the whole selected text in the find what box, it will
be focused and selected anyway, so what they type will simply overwrite
what is already there.
While we're discussing this dialog, could you please help explain the
"Search only in this style" option. I am excited, as I think (hope) it
means I can search within lexer-defined strings, integers, constructs,
function names, variable names, etc. Is this true? How does it work
(i.e. what are the style numbers for say C/C++)? If it were possible to
search for e.g. "timer" within variable names while ignoring "timer"
within strings, I would jump up and down in fits of happiness.
Neil, thanks for being a helpful (and responsive) author, your software
rocks ass and I (and I'm sure I speak for all users) greatly appreciate it.
James
_______________________________________________
Scite-interest mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.lyra.org/mailman/listinfo/scite-interest