> There was a shop in Edinburgh which sold secondhand angling equipment
> and secondhand musical instruments. It was called Scayles (and still
> exists as a music shop).

They could of course have called themselves Reels.  Or Dr Hook.  (The
transparent green plastic recorder I'm playing in one of the pictures
on my website came from them; it works very well for five quids' worth).

+ There is a sign outside the shop advertising this new section; Pet
+ Sounds.  I think that is just perfect! Am I showing my age or what?

I needed reminding.  Couldn't identify the song (though I must have
heard it when it came out) but the name was vaguely familiar.

: All Pets now does quite well with Pet Sounds and - I kid you not -
: has sold two Xaphoons... TWO of those buggers sold in one small
: town - I couldn't even manage to demonstrate one at Sandy Bell's
: this afternoon. Two notes and the cry was raised to get the thing
: off me.

I think you should reposition your market; they could be a useful
diagnostic tool for ENT departments.  (Having entirely failed to
get a squeak out of it, I now know exactly what went wrong with
my surgery...)

Interesting idea but I don't see how anybody could play it accurately
in tune: very short, no tuning barrel, no adjustable ligature, and a
fiercely hard reed that would give you no lip control of the pitch at
all.

David brought some of his Romanian-made twangy things to Bell's;
I hadn't seen them before.  Solidly built, do exactly what he says
they should, and in particular stay in tune.