Hi Alan, Goetz,

>There are several issues with this proposal. The security concern is the main
>one and I think we should wait for comment from security-dev.

>If this is required, I would choose a more generic tag

>so it can be reused in other places.

>I would just use "path".

>Best regards,

>  Goetz.

Thanks for  the comments .   Sure,  I can use path  for the category naming  as
well, but would be good to hear the  opinions of  the security-dev guys on this
.

> The second concern is that the patch is incomplete and inconsistent in that
> it changes the exception throw by two methods,
>it ignores other file I/O methods that throw exceptions.

We  have these extended exceptions for quite some time in our JVM;   we decided
to   enhance exceptions where we have a path already "at hand" ,
  so it was easy to extend the exceptions .
In case you think this can be done with some others , that's fine with me -  do
you have some concrete examples ?

A lot of IO exceptions currently thrown that use
JNU_ThrowIOExceptionWithLastError  do not have a path (at least not where the
exception is thrown).

Best regards ,
                Matthias