On 4/3/2021 11:35 AM, Greg Rubin wrote:
I'd advise against the AutoPadding scheme without more careful analysis and
discussion. Have we seen either KW or KWP specifications which recommend that
behavior?

My concern is that we've seen cases before where two different cryptographic
algorithms could be selected transparently upon decryption and it lowers the
security of the overall system. (A variant of in-band signalling.) The general
consensus that I've been seeing in the (applied) cryptographic community is
strongly away from in-band signalling and towards the decryptor fully
specifying the algorithms and behavior prior to attempting decryption.

I think this is in response to my comment?

The wrap function can take a Key as an input and can have the unwrap method produce a Key as an output - indeed it should be used primarily for this rather than the more general encrypt/decrypt functions.  The problem is that the encoding of the key may not be known prior to the attempt to wrap it - hence it's not known whether or not padding need be applied.  This is especially problematic with HSMs.  Providing an AutoPadding mode would allow the wrapping algorithm to decide whether to use either of the RFC 3394 (AKA KW) Integrity Check Value (ICV) or the RFC5649 (aka KWP) value and padding length.

The key thing to remember here is that the IV (initial value - RFC language) /ICV (integrity check value - NIST language)actually isn't an IV(initialization vector) in the ordinary meaning, it's a flag, padding and integrity indicator and will be fixed for all keys of the same length that use the specified values.   E.g. unlike other modes that require an initialization vector, you don't need to know the ICV to decrypt the underlying key stream, but you can  (and for that matter MUST) easily test the recovered first block against the expected ICV to determine whether the output needs padding removed or not.

FWIW, the actual cryptographic operations between padded data and non-padded data (of the right multiple length) are identical. It's only the pre or post processing that's looking for different data.

Obviously, this doesn't work if someone provides their own IV - but that's fairly unlikely.  CF CCM and its non-normative example formatting function appendix A -  each and every implementation I've seen uses that formatting function, even though it isn't actually required by the standard.  I'd be surprised if anyone decided to use a different set of non-standard IV values.

If an AutoPadding mode were implemented, I'd throw exceptions if someone tried to set the IV.

Later, Mike