*sigh* Minor correction in line.

On 4/7/2021 2:49 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:
On 4/7/2021 1:28 PM, Greg Rubin wrote:
Mike,

Yes, this was in response to your comment.

I'm aware that the IV really serves more as an integrity check and mode signalling mechanism than anything else. My concern is that in the past few years I've seen various issues related to "in band signalling" where something about the ciphertext (or directly associated metadata) changes how the data is decrypted and authenticated. This has reached the level where several cryptographic forums I participate in are starting to consider it a full anti-pattern.

The proposed "AutoPadding" mode is an example of in-band signalling in which an externally provided ciphertext changes how it is interpreted. While I cannot personally think of a specific risk in this case, I would be inclined not to include this mode unless there is a strong driving need from our users. While I have definitely seen people not knowing if their data was encrypted with KW or KW+PKCS5/7, I haven't personally seen uncertainty between KW and KWP. (I also haven't worked with all possible HSMs, just a few of them.)  So, from a position of caution, I'd avoid "AutoPadding", but this is a preference based on current best-practice rather than a strong objection based on specific concerns or risks.

I sent a note off to the original mode inventor - Russ Housley:

Can you think of any reason why there might be an issue with providing an autopadding mode for KW/KWP (e.g. select which to use based on the input data for encrypt and determine which was used after running the unwrap function but before removing the initial block and any padding)?

I got back:

As long as every party supports both modes, you could use KW id [sic - I think he meant "is"]

"if" not "is"

the inout is a multiple of 64 bits, otherwise use KWP.  Of course, the algorithm identifier needs to be set appropriately.

Which sort of confirms what I thought, but added a question: Are there algorithm OIDs for KW with PKCS5 padding or do people just use the KW OID( 2.16.840.1.101.3.4.1.{5,25,45}?  As far as I can tell, there are no OIDs for KW with PKCS5.

Does there need to be an autopad OID?

If it were me, I'd be avoiding implementing the PKCS5 padding mode here.  I can't actually find a specification that includes it and it looks like a hack that was fixed by the specification of KWP.  I'd prefer not to extend the hack's lifetime, given that  RFC5649 is 10+ years old.

WRT to HSM uncertainty, I ran into problems especially trying to wrap RSA private keys.  Turned out that some encoded as 8 byte multiples and some did not.  In any event, I mentioned HSMs, but I really care about the general model for the JCE. I'd *really* like to avoid having to have to first figure out the private key encoding length (which may be difficult as a provider may not choose to export an unwrapped private key even if its a software provider) before choosing the wrapping algorithm.   Doing it that way just fits the JCE model better.

At some point, there needs to be an RFC written that specifies the default encodings for keys wrapped by this algorithm.

Later, Mike

Thank you,
Greg

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 4:38 PM Michael StJohns <mstjo...@comcast.net <mailto:mstjo...@comcast.net>> wrote:

    On 4/3/2021 11:35 AM, Greg Rubin wrote:
    > I'd advise against the AutoPadding scheme without more careful
    analysis and discussion. Have we seen either KW or KWP
    specifications which recommend that behavior?

    > My concern is that we've seen cases before where two different
    cryptographic algorithms could be selected transparently upon
    decryption and it lowers the security of the overall system. (A
    variant of in-band signalling.) The general consensus that I've
    been seeing in the (applied) cryptographic community is strongly
    away from in-band signalling and towards the decryptor fully
    specifying the algorithms and behavior prior to attempting
    decryption.

    I think this is in response to my comment?

    The wrap function can take a Key as an input and can have the unwrap
    method produce a Key as an output - indeed it should be used
    primarily
    for this rather than the more general encrypt/decrypt functions.
    The
    problem is that the encoding of the key may not be known prior to
    the
    attempt to wrap it - hence it's not known whether or not padding
    need be
    applied.  This is especially problematic with HSMs. Providing an
    AutoPadding mode would allow the wrapping algorithm to decide
    whether to
    use either of the RFC 3394 (AKA KW) Integrity Check Value (ICV)
    or the
    RFC5649 (aka KWP) value and padding length.

    The key thing to remember here is that the IV (initial value - RFC
    language) /ICV (integrity check value - NIST language)actually
    isn't an
    IV(initialization vector) in the ordinary meaning, it's a flag,
    padding
    and integrity indicator and will be fixed for all keys of the same
    length that use the specified values.   E.g. unlike other modes that
    require an initialization vector, you don't need to know the ICV to
    decrypt the underlying key stream, but you can  (and for that matter
    MUST) easily test the recovered first block against the expected
    ICV to
    determine whether the output needs padding removed or not.

    FWIW, the actual cryptographic operations between padded data and
    non-padded data (of the right multiple length) are identical.
    It's only
    the pre or post processing that's looking for different data.

    Obviously, this doesn't work if someone provides their own IV - but
    that's fairly unlikely.  CF CCM and its non-normative example
    formatting
    function appendix A -  each and every implementation I've seen
    uses that
    formatting function, even though it isn't actually required by the
    standard.  I'd be surprised if anyone decided to use a different
    set of
    non-standard IV values.

    If an AutoPadding mode were implemented, I'd throw exceptions if
    someone
    tried to set the IV.

    Later, Mike